There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Life Goes On

Hmmm. It's 1.15am and I have all the windows open. I'm waiting for the emergency gas engineer to arrive - it could be anytime in the next 2 hours.

For some reason, just before going to bed I looked up and saw a grey splodge on the carbon monoxide detector over the gas boiler. So I phoned the emergency number to ask what to do. It's an emergency and someone has to come out.

Carbon monoxide is nasty because it doesn't have a smell and it can kill. According to a list of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, I've had some of them over the past two or three weeks. They go away when I go outside or am away from home, and come back when I'm in the house.

I put it down to stress because of Dez's death - it's only six weeks since he went - but perhaps it has another cause. The boiler should have been serviced by now but because Dez was in hospital, I forgot to arrange it until recently so it's going to be done in September.

So here I am with all the windows open, waiting.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, wow--
    You haven't posted since this one. I hope all is well.

    I used to drive to night classes clear across town, and I'd get so sleepy that, despite the winter weather, I'd open the window and let the cold air revive me. One day, I was visiting my family, and as I started the car to leave, one of my brothers said to me, "Your car has a leak in the exhaust manifold." He knew that because of the sound! Sure enough, I got that fixed, and my sleepiness at the wheel disappeared.

    Let us know how you are doing, and why you were running the furnace in August.

    We're not expecting you to bounce back like a rubber ball, you know. Just a murmur of existence from time to time would be enough. :)TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Texanne!
      Yes, all is as well as it can be. I had most of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and now the boiler is serviced they have gone.

      Blame my poor memory - or rather overworked memory as there is a lot to sort out still since Dez passed away. I totally forgot about this blog until your comment came through on my email.

      Lovely of you to contact me. I'm not a rubber ball yet but I'm doing ok enough :)
      Prue x

      Delete
  2. Hi there, Prue!
    I hope your CO detecter is working properly now.
    I've missed you. How have you been?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirsten!
      Yes the new detector is in place and my symptoms have gone since the boiler was serviced.

      Early on after Dez passed away, I kept thinking about death and I wanted to go. Kept thinking about how I might do it too! So I went to the doctor who has been great.

      What a few people have called my 'brush with death' i.e. the carbon monoxide poisoning has brought me up short and since then (don't know if it's because of it) I've stopped having those dark thoughts.

      I'm still lonely but getting on with things. Have even thought about writing again - had one or two ideas recently!!!

      Will check in on your blog soon but there's been a whole heap of things to do.
      Prue x

      Delete
  3. It's so good to see you're doing alright. Please try not to let the sadness overwhelm you. It must be very hard right now, but there are so many people who care about you!
    These cloudy days will pass, and the sun will shine once more. Trust me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kirsten for you kind and supportive post. Bless you
    Prue xxx

    ReplyDelete