Tuesday 10 April 2012

Another late Sunday :)

Cherry blossom from our garden

I blame Easter. It's wrecked such routine as I managed to establish :)

Mr Prue had the week before Easter off work so we celebrated his return to eating all foods (after finishing the antibiotics) by going to a Cotswold pub. We had a very pleasant lunch of Lancashire hot pot, spicy red cabbage and beer.

Maundy Thursday, when the Queen distributes Maundy money, found us at the local art gallery, Compton Verney. It's a beautiful house in large grounds and stood empty for about fifty years before it was rescued and turned into an art gallery. There are a number of exhibitions each year, workshops and talks as well as the permanent exhibition of paintings, Chinese artefacts, and folk art.

We were there to see the Gainsborough exhibition -- small but beautiful -- and as the ticket gave access to another exhibition: Into the Light, French and British painting from Impressionism to the 1920s. Much more varied than the Gainsborough, I hurried past some paintings! The paintings by Stanhope Alexander Forbes captivated me and I sat looking at A Fish Sale on a Cornish Beach for some time. (You may have to scroll down to find the picture on this link).

Gardening went on apace before rain set in, and I got the greenhouse cleaned out. We've decided not to grow anything in it this year. Focus is on getting the garden back into order after doing no gardening last year. It's coming along and I feel encouraged by the progress made so far.

Oh, and I've still managed to find time for writing. I'm analysing the plot and characterisation in The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer. It's a cracking book and it makes me laugh in places. Wonderfully thought out -- I'm learning a lot. Heyer had been publishing books for some thirty years when she wrote this book. it was published in 1950; a new edition was released recently.

Well, it's been a busy time. I hope you enjoyed Easter and had a good break. Have a good week -- what's left of it :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love The Grand Sophy! But my favorite Heyer is Sylvester. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Another G.H. fan!
    Sylvester is very enjoyable; I like Venetia and Frederica too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link on Stanhope Alexander Forbes. I got lost in those paintings for a while, as they took me away to another time.

    I'm glad you had a good holiday, and it's interesting to read that you are analyzing one of your favorite books. That is a great idea I will definitely try sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kirsten. Glad you looked up Forbes.
    Analysing The Grand Sophy is part of the HTTS Lesson 20 - but my version of it :D
    I'm stunned by what I'm seeing!

    ReplyDelete