Friday 3 February 2012

Friday Food

Food is really important, and food seems to creep into all the stories I write. When in the mood, I like to cook and experiment with new flavour combinations. I watch every cookery programme on tv and have a collection of cookery books which numbered around 90 at the last count.

One of the pleasures in life is cooking and sharing food with friends, sitting round a table, chilling out together, sharing a meal, sharing conversation and laughter. It takes some beating.

As I am unable to do that with you, I thought I'd share a few of my receipes which you can try, or perhaps change and make your own.

We have tomatoes in the shops all year, but during the winter months they have a distinct lack of flavour. This receipe arose out of desperation a few years ago, when I either did something drastic to a bag of tasteless tomatoes or threw them on the compost heap. Here's what I came up with.

Prue's way of Perking up Tired Tomatoes

Tomatoes cut in half
Olive oil - the more flavour the better
Sugar
Dried herbs (I use an Italian herb mix from Schwartz)

1. To a pan large enough to take the tomatoes in a single layer, add a generous glug of olive oil - enough to thinly coat the pan when hot.
2. Heat the oil and put in the tomatoes, cut side up. Don't get the oil too hot or the sugar will burn.
3. Sprinkle the cut surface with sugar, dried herbs and a twist of freshly ground pepper.
4. Cook for a few minutes then turn the tomatoes over. Spitting occurs so take care.
5. After a few minutes to slightly caramelize the sugar, turn tomatoes over again and turn down the heat to low.
6. Leave a few minutes more until the tomatoes are cooked through.

Amounts can be varied according to taste.

If you try it, let me know what you think :)
And if you come up with alternatives, then feel free to share.
Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment