Friday 27 August 2010

Lolcats

Words matter and how they are used. Words and language fascinate me; how languages change over time, how different groups of people will create their own words.

Txt msg words leave me cold because I like vowels (one reason I learned Dutch); leet speak reminds me of a bizarre sort of algebra (I never could understand why anyone would want to add letters together! :D) but I've taken to lolspeak in a big way.

Lolspeak is what the lolcats use in captions on Icanhascheezeburger (link on the rhs of this page). I love cats and this site shows, if nothing else, the range of expressions to be found on cats' faces. Strange but true. Have a look :)

The grammar is off the wall too. Usually I'm hot on grammar but cats - well, they would have their own.

HTTS
Finished Lesson 3. I am proud owner of 3 ideas for novels.

HTRYN
I did a bit this morning but still not up to usual speed. Getting better slowly though.

Writing exercise
I've located Don Quixote - the book, not the man :)
So far, it remains unopened.

Garden
Has been rained on torrentially for two days. My runner bean wigwam collapsed - the bamboo poles just split open and over it went O.o

Reading
Half-way through Mistborn. I'm really getting into the story and the world now. It occurs to me that I could be doing the writing exercise on this book but I just want to gobble it up and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way! I hate txt speak because it looks ignorant, but I occasionally use LOL speak to make a point because it sounds cute to me. I can hear the cute voices of the kitties in my head.

    Are you have problems signing into our Yahoo workgroup? I am so excited that you've joined...you always have something interesting to say on the boards.

    Oh, and I LOVE your fish. I visited your blog yesterday and kept feeding them...I hope they can't be overfed! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad you're still enjoying Mistborn!

    I find the lolcats funny... in moderation. Their are some places where lolcat speak is totally overdone (oh noes! ;)).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I find some of the lolcats impenetrable but there are some gems in there :)
    k thx bai ;)

    ReplyDelete